What is Quickbooks Error 6123, 0
QuickBooks error 6123, 0 occurs when you try to open or update the QuickBooks file using multi-user mode. The reason for error code 6123, 0 is a damaged network connection, database service is not running, or the host system is not the same. This can be solved by running the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool that scans and resolves the error.
Error: QuickBooks Error 6123, 0
Error Message: We’re Sorry. QuickBooks couldn’t open your company file. We’ll try to fix the problem. Click Start to begin. If the problem continues, contact support for assistance and report the error code (-6123, 0).
QuickBooks stores the financial records in the company file. While coping up with a competitive edge when the user tries to upgrade the company file they may face QuickBooks 2018 error code 6123. It usually takes place while opening a company file from a network server or backup restoring. It will interrupt the entire process and create a frustrating scenario. Let’s delve into the QuickBooks error 6123 resolve guide to quickly tackle this. Before proceeding it is recommended to know the overview and causes behind the issue.
Many technical glitches provoke the error in the accounting software. Among that QuickBooks Won’t open my company file error 6123 usually occurs while restoring the company files from the backup created on the hard disk or when you try to access the company file through a multi-network server. You need to find the relevant guide to identify the issue and implement the troubleshooting resolutions to fix the error 6123.
- 1 What is Quickbooks Error 6123, 0
- 2 Reasons for QuickBooks error 6123
- 3 16 Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0
- 3.1 1. Solution One: Download QuickBooks File Doctor
- 3.2 2. Solution Two: Manually Resolve Error Code -6123, 0
- 3.3 3. Solution Three: Give New Name to .ND and .TLG
- 3.4 4. Solution Four: Change The Location of Your Company File in The QuickBooks
- 3.5 5. Solution Five: Auto Data Recovery Function Usage
- 3.6 6. Solution Six: Make A New Windows User
- 3.7 7. Solution Seven: Set The Correct Folder Permissions
- 3.8 8. Solution Eight: Verify The Characters in The File Name
- 3.9 9. Solution Nine: Download & Use The QuickBooks Tool Hub
- 3.10 10. Solution Ten: Company File Restore
- 3.11 11. Solution Eleven: Running Quick Fix My Program
- 3.12 12. Solution Twelve: Try Restarting Your PC in Safe Mode
- 3.13 13. Solution Thirteen: Disabling The System Security Programs
- 3.14 14. Solution Fourteen: Re-installation of QuickBooks Application
- 3.15 15. Solution Fifteen: Create A Portable Company File (.qbm) to Restore The Company File
- 3.16 16. Solution Sixteen: Manually Configuring Multi-User Setup
- 4 FAQs
Reasons for QuickBooks error 6123
There are certain factors responsible for error 6123 opening older QuickBooks files or QuickBooks error 6123 cannot contact database server.
Some of the primary causes are jotted down:
You may get this error if:
- The network connection with the computer where it is hosted is disrupted.
- The firewall setting is disturbed.
- The QuickBooks database service is running.
- The name of the host computer is changed.
- You are trying to take a backup directly on a flash drive or any other kind of storage device.
- A file from the company has been damaged.
- If the company file was restored from an external storage device.
- Windows that have been damaged or corrupted.
- If an antivirus product is installed on the computer, it may obstruct the communication process.
- Windows user and QBW files have been corrupted.
- The data files or software files in QuickBooks are damaged or corrupted.
16 Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6123, 0
Once you walk through the significant cause now let’s proceed with the implementation of the solutions for a QuickBooks error 6123: In this article, we have discussed some really effective solutions that can assist you to fix the error.
However, make sure to try out all the given solutions in the order given below:
1. Solution One: Download QuickBooks File Doctor
- Download and install QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Then run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- In case, this doesn’t fix the problem, try Solution no.2
2. Solution Two: Manually Resolve Error Code -6123, 0
In case, downloading and running QuickBooks File Doctor didn’t fix your problem, then it is suggested to fix the error manually.
However, before attempting the below given troubleshooting procedures:
- Reboot your computer in order to close all the programs that might be opened. In addition to this, it will also reload the OS as well as reestablish network connections.
- If the version of QuickBooks Desktop you sue is a single-user installation then turn off multi-user hosting.
Now choose the situation that you think suits your problem. For instance, if you installed or updated security software or firewall lately, you can try to fix the problem by going to your firewall settings.
If you aren’t sure, follow the given below solutions:
A. Check the network connection with your host computer
- In case you have a wired connection then it is don’t forget to check the network connections and cables on both the host computer as well as the client computer try to browse the QuickBooks company file.
- Check whether all the other programs along with the resources located on the host computer can be easily accessed. In case not, reboot the host computer- doing so may resolve the problem. If rebooting the issue fixes the problem, the problem might be with the network. Due to the complexity of the wired and wireless networks, your QuickBooks might not get enough support for network configuration.
B. Check the firewall settings
- Check if your firewall or the security software is equipped with all the latest updates as well as network access.
C. Check for hibernation or standby mode on host computer
If the host computer is either on hibernation or standby mode, it can disable you to access your QuickBooks file. To fix the problem, reconfigure or disable the settings of your host computer.
D. Repair damaged network data files (*.nd)
- Press Windows+E on your keyboard. Windows Explorer will open.
- Go to the folder containing the company file.
- Now right click on the file having the same name as your company file as well as the extension .nd.
- Select Rename and change the extension to .ndold.
- Press Enter. Then open QuickBooks Desktops and then the company file. QuickBooks Desktop will now make a new data file for your company file.
Once done, toggle hosting off and then on at the host computer
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now open the company file.
- Select File and then choose Switch to Single User Mode.
- Select File and choose Utilities
- Now click on Stop Hosting Multi-user access.
- Again select File and choose Utilities
- Then select Host Multi-user access.
- Then select File and choose Switch to Multi-User Mode.
3. Solution Three: Give New Name to .ND and .TLG
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Initially locate the folder with the company file and open it
- Now select the required .ND file of the company
- Once done you have right-click on the company file
- Select Rename button
- Find the .ND file and give a name to .ND.OLD
- Select the .TLG file and rename it as did previously
- At last, try to open the QuickBooks Company file
4. Solution Four: Change The Location of Your Company File in The QuickBooks
If you face QuickBooks 2015 could not open company file error -6123, then it is the best resolution to move your company file to another place. In case you are using the host connection then copy the Company file from the system and open it to resolve it.
5. Solution Five: Auto Data Recovery Function Usage
To start this method you need to restore the file .ADR copy and check whether it works or not. If the error is due to the corrupted file then it will fix the error code 6123. In case you need to explore more than you have to hit on the data recovery link.
6. Solution Six: Make A New Windows User
Sometimes you might be in a scenario where your ongoing Windows user login gets corrupted. To resolve the issue create a new user in your window.
Here are the steps:
- Initially locate the Control Panel option
- Hit on Create New User choice button in the icon which says, User
- Select the Administrator of user type
- You need to logout from the existing one
- Restart the system and then login into the system with the new user credentials
- Discover the company file and then move it to the desktop
- At last, open your QuickBooks and then try to open the company file
7. Solution Seven: Set The Correct Folder Permissions
- Firstly discover the company file folder in your host system
- It should permit control to the users with the QB database server manager user
8. Solution Eight: Verify The Characters in The File Name
The users require making sure that the name of the company file covers the following factors:
- The characters should be less than 30
- The company name should not contain the spaces or special characters
9. Solution Nine: Download & Use The QuickBooks Tool Hub
- on the preferred location
- Locate the downloaded file click on it
- Go through the onscreen instructions on the prompt to start the installation and also confirm the license agreement
- Wait till the process completes
- After that, the user needs to locate the icon that appears on the Windows Desktop
- It will open the tool hub Window
- Choose the program problems
- Hit on the Quick fix my program
- It might take some time to execute. It usually varies with the multiple version of the accounting software
- Once the process completes re-open the QuickBooks and checks whether the error is fixed or not
10. Solution Ten: Company File Restore
The user requires moving the backup file to the hard drive. It is suggested to prevent opening from the removable drive or online storage folder.
Once done, now perform the required steps to proceed with the company file from the backup
How to resolve if the QuickBooks error codes (-6123 0) is found while backup restores on a new computer:
To deal with this situation the user needs to make a portable company file. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First of all, open the QuickBooks desktop on the same computer used to make the company file backup
- Now open the original company file on the system
- Make a portable company file
- The proceeding step is to open the QuickBooks desktop on the new computer
- At last, the user requires to use the portable copy to restore the company file
11. Solution Eleven: Running Quick Fix My Program
It is expected to perform the following steps for this method:
- In the QuickBooks Tools Hub, go to Programs Problems and select the same
- Choose the tab for Quick Fix My Program
- It could take up to a minute to run the program or might take more than a minute to open QuickBooks if you have numerous versions installed on your machine
- When Quick Fix my Program is complete, open QuickBooks and double-check that the issue has been resolved.
12. Solution Twelve: Try Restarting Your PC in Safe Mode
- By restarting your computer in safe mode, all third-party apps will be disabled, preventing QuickBooks Desktop from running
- In safe mode, you can also try temporarily disabling third-party security apps.
13. Solution Thirteen: Disabling The System Security Programs
If you use McAfee security software, this could be the cause of the problem. Antivirus software frequently interacts with company files and considers them as malware. This may prevent you from accessing the corporate file. In this case, you must first disable QuickBooks and then access the company file.
14. Solution Fourteen: Re-installation of QuickBooks Application
- From the control panel tab, uninstall the current QuickBooks version
- Use the QuickBooks installation CD or download the QuickBooks version you want to use on the machine
- Install QuickBooks in its default setting
- There, enter the product ID and license number
- QuickBooks will be registered and activated to use after entering the credentials
- Finally, open the company file.
15. Solution Fifteen: Create A Portable Company File (.qbm) to Restore The Company File
In this case, it’s a good idea to make a portable corporate file. After that, you must use it to restore the company file. The following are the steps to follow in this method:
- On the same computer that was used to create the backup company file, open the QuickBooks desktop
- Open the company’s original file
- The following step is to make a portable version of the company file
- On the new system, open the QuickBooks desktop.
- Instead of that using the backup file, you can restore the company file using the portable copy.
16. Solution Sixteen: Manually Configuring Multi-User Setup
If you’re using QuickBooks multi-user, you can configure its settings by following the instructions below:
Step 1: Renaming .ND and .TLG files
- To begin, go to the company file folder and open it
- The company file’s .ND file should be selected
- Right-click on the .ND file and then select rename from the menu
- .old should be added to the end of the file name
- For the.TLG file, follow the same steps
- Open the company file in QuickBooks Desktop
- Using database server management, re-scan the company file
- Stop the database server process first.
- If you’re using Windows 7, it is recommended pressing the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys from your keyboard
- Select the task manager option
- From the processes tab, select the image name column heading
- End the task by right-clicking QBDBMgrN.exe
- To stop all instances of QBDBMgrN.exe, repeat the instructions
- The task manager should now be closed.
Windows 10 & 8
- You should first press the Windows key, then type task manager into the search box
- Then select More details from the task manager
- When you’re done, go to the details tab
- Right-click on QBDBMgrN.exe
- End the task by clicking on it
- Repeat these instructions till QBDBMgrN.exe is no longer running
- The task manager should be closed now.
Restarting the QuickBooks services
- To launch the run window, hit Windows + R
- Press the enter tab after typing service.msc
- To order the entries alphabetically in the services window, use the name column heading
- Choose the Start tab by right-clicking on the QuickBooks desktop version’s handy service
- QuickBooks Desktop 2021 or QB Enterprise 21.0: QuickBooks DB31
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020 or QB Enterprise 20.0: QuickBooks DB30
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019 or QB Enterprise 19.0: QuickBooksDB29
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018 or QB Enterprise 18.0: QuickBooksDB28
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017 or QB desktop enterprise 17.0: QuickBooksDB27
- QuickBooks Desktop 2016 or QB Desktop Enterprise 16.0: QuickBooksDB26
- At last, close the services.
Re-scanning the company files
- The QuickBooks database server manager must be launched
- To scan, look for the QuickBooks company file’s location
- QuickBooks database server manager should also be closed
- The company file must be opened in the final step.
Step 2: Setting up proper folder permissions
The folder containing the QuickBooks desktop company file is present on the host machine, which should be noted. Furthermore, all users, including the database server manager, must have complete control.
Step 3: Moving the company file to a different location
You can test whether there is a problem with the file path by moving the file to a different location and then opening it from there to see whether it works.
Step 4: Checking firewall & Antivirus ports
The firewall and antivirus software may occasionally prevent the program from accessing the company file. To avoid further prompts, check the firewall and internet security settings for QuickBooks desktop.
Step 5: Toggle hosting settings in QuickBooks
- To begin, open the company file
- Select the file menu and then select the “Switch to Single-User Mode” option
- Select File >>> Utilities >>> Stop Hosting Multi-User Access from the drop-down menu
- The next step is to go to File >>> Utilities > >> Host Multi-User Access
- In the end, you must choose the file as well as switch to multi-user mode.
Need Professional Help?
However, if you aren’t able to toggle hosting off and on, it is recommended to reboot your computer in Safe mode with networking and then try again. In case, if you still face any technical problem, feel free to call our QuickBooks error support team at . We offer comprehensive technical support services to troubleshoot all QuickBooks related problems. Our team of technical experts is just a call away.
What do you understand with QuickBooks error 6123?
According to Intuit, “Connection to the QB company file has been lost” pops up when users try to open a company file over a network in multi-user mode or you’re upgrading a company file to a newer QuickBooks version.
What are the various probable ways to get rid of QuickBooks error 6123?
You can easily get rid of this error code just after following any of the below methods:
💠 Download the QB file doctor
💠 By renaming .ND & .TLG file
💠 By moving your company file to another location
💠 Using Auto data recovery function
💠 Disabling the System Security programs
💠 Reinstall the QuickBooks application
💠 Create a new Windows user
💠 Set proper folder permissions
What can be the reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error 6123?
QuickBooks error code 6123 caused due to several reasons such as:
💠 Restoration of the company file from an external storage device.
💠 Disrupted host server connected to the network.
💠 Damaged data file for QuickBooks Company.
💠 Firewall settings that interrupt QuickBooks in order to open a business.
💠 The McAfee Antivirus program will be mounted on your computer. QuickBooks Desktop Services are messing with it.
💠 Damaged Windows.