What is QuickBooks Error 6189 816
QuickBooks Error 6189 816 is a runtime error code from series 6000 it happens when you access, create, or open the company file on the multi-user network. Fix it by restarting the server and computer. Then fix the company file with the QuickBooks tool hub.
Error Codes: QuickBooks Error 6189 816 (-6189, -816)
About QuickBooks Error 6189 816
|Error Code:||Error 6189 816||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||It is a runtime error when using a network device in multi-user mode to view a company file.||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||Windows registry gets damaged or corrupted, QuickBooks programs file get damaged or corrupted due to the virus or malware.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptoms:||QuickBooks company files loss the connection, QuickBooks user is not able to open or access the quickbooks company files.||Possible Solution:||Installing QuickBooks Database Manager on the server, Fix Company File using QuickBooks Tools Hub|
QuickBooks is a simple yet sophisticated accounting solution that monitors all your accounting data and also offers lots of amazing features. The platform’s simplicity makes it very simple for users to work on it. However, despite several useful capabilities, the software occasionally gets tangled up in confusing error scenarios, which may be rather unpleasant for users.
The QuickBooks error 6189 816 is one such annoyance that is going to be discussed in this article. It is a runtime error when using a network device in multi-user mode to view a company file. Despite the fact that the error notification offers a few details, as shown in the screenshot below, users may still find it difficult to pinpoint the actual problem and correct it. That’s why; we have come with this article to make your work simple with all details along with the fixation methods.
Note: If QuickBooks is being used in a multi-user environment then the following should be checked and ensured:
The data file should not be stored in a network drive
Users should ensure that the file is not stored in a Network Attached Storage (NAS) device or a removable drive. Such devices don’t possess full computer functionality and are unable to run the QuickBooks Database Manager. This setup can sometimes damage the data.
- 1 What is QuickBooks Error 6189 816
- 2 About QuickBooks Error 6189 816
- 3 Indications of Quickbooks Error Code 6189, 816
- 4 Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error 6189 816
- 5 How to Resolve Quickbooks Error 6189 816
- 6 Additional Ways to Get Rid of The QuickBooks Error 6189 816
- 6.1 1. Method One: Run Quick Fix My Program from The QuickBooks Tool Hub
- 6.2 2. Method Two: Move The Company Files to Your Local Hard Drive
- 6.3 3. Method Three: Download and Run The QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- 6.4 4. Method Four: Backup and Restore The File
- 6.5 5. Method Five: Try to Fix QuickBooks Error 6189 816 Manually
- 7 FAQs
- 7.1 What are the indications of QuickBooks error 6189 816?
- 7.2 Can QuickBooks Tool Hub help me to fix QuickBooks error code 6189 816 and how?
- 7.3 How Do I Run Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub?
- 7.4 Can I resolve the QuickBooks error 6189-816 using QuickBooks Tools Hub?
- 7.5 Why does QuickBooks error code 6189 816 Pop out on my screen?
- 7.6 Is there any method available to move the data folder while fixing QuickBooks error code 6189 816?
Users should not use a file-sharing device
File-sharing services, such as Dropbox, SugarSync, Box.net, or other online sync services should not be used for the company file. Certain auto-backup utilities available online create errors when used with QuickBooks. To avoid problems, the company file should be removed from the Dropbox (or another service) folder and copied in the C drive of the user’s computer.
Users should also try these measures:
- Users in the US should use Intuit Data Protec (IDP) to protect the company files.
- QuickBooks Online should be used to access QuickBooks from different locations.
- The ProAdvisor’s blog should be referred to for further information.
Indications of Quickbooks Error Code 6189, 816
Here is a list of signs why QuickBooks error 6189 816 occurs.
- QuickBooks company files loss the connection
- QuickBooks user is not able to open or access the quickbooks company files.
- When the user tries to open the QB company file in the new version & system shows it incorrect.
- When the Quickbooks Freezes, which leads the system to become unresponsive
- The Machine system itself is not accepting or reading any command to open/access the necessary programs.
Possible Causes of QuickBooks Error 6189 816
A couple of other factors might lead to QuickBooks error 6189 816. They can be:
- QuickBooks installation steps are incomplete
- Or, the file is already open or used by the other user .
- When you may not have the appropriate permission to access the data or file which is saved in a folder.
- Windows registry gets damaged or corrupted.
- QuickBooks programs file get damaged or corrupted due to the virus or malware.
- The error may be the result of the difference between exchange log record (.TLG) and the organization document (.QBW).
- And if other users are accessing the QuickBooks using a single user mode.
- In the running time of QuickBooks the important drives are deleted accidentally
- Windows cannot activate properly.
- One major factor could be missing or damaged QuickBooks components.
- If a program or process is accessing a company file on a network computer.
- Accessibility issues with the company file or folder on the QuickBooks host system can also be a problem.
- Any problems with QuickBooks registry values in the Windows registry.
- Alternatively, if the operating system is infected with antivirus software.
- On the QuickBooks server or host system, a network data source file has been damaged.
- It’s possible that the QB hosting processes are having issues.
How to Resolve Quickbooks Error 6189 816
Let’s see the solutions to fix QuickBooks Error -6189, -816 underneath.
- Restarting the computer and server
- Installing QuickBooks Database Manager on the server
- Fix Company File using QuickBooks Tools Hub
Users should not use an encryption software on their computers : QuickBooks advises users to not encrypt their company files. Users should contact their encryption software’s vendors on how to disable the software.
1. Solution One: Restarting the computer and server
Restarting your system can resolve many common problems, in this case, it can be helpful. So give it a try by following mentioned below steps:
- First of all, Restart the system (The server computer where the quickbooks software originally installed)
- Now, Try to restart each workstation (Note: Workstation are the other computers in a multi-user environment that don’t host the company files)
- Now try to open quickbooks desktop on your computer and as well as on each workstation.
2. Solution Two: Installing QuickBooks Database Manager on the server
The QuickBooks Database Manager allows users to configure the QuickBooks Server for multi-user access. If the QuickBooks Database Manager isn’t available, it should be installed. Users don’t need any license for installing the QuickBooks Database Manager.
Note: To fulfil the necessary QuickBooks Desktop requirements for optimum file performance, the QuickBooks Database Manager must be installed and set up on the computer storing the QuickBooks Desktop company files.
- Users should first select the installer for QuickBooks and initiate the Installation Wizard. They should then select ‘Next’ if the computer is online and can download an update. If there’s no internet connection, then select ‘No’ and then ‘Next’.
- Users should close all other programs and select ‘Next’ and read the terms mentioned in the Software License Agreement. They should then choose ‘I accept the terms in the license agreement’ and then select ‘Next’.
- Now, choose ‘Custom or Network Options’ and select the type of installation.
- If QuickBooks will be run on the current system, then select ‘I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer and I’ll be storing…’
- If the current computer will only be used for storing QuickBooks data, then select ‘I will not be using QuickBooks on this computer..’ If this option is chosen, then users don’t have to provide a license number.
- Now, users should choose ‘Yes, allow access’. They should then provide the ‘License Number and Product Number’. These numbers can be found from the text at the bottom of the window.
- Users should now follow the directions on the screen to install the Database Manager. Once it has been installed, the computer should be restarted.
3. Solution Three: Fix Company File using QuickBooks Tools Hub
The QuickBooks tools hub is generally used to fix common errors including some company file problems. You must give it a try to fix the problem by following mentioned below steps:
A. Step One: Download & Install Quickbooks Tools Hub.
To download & install the QuickBooks tools hub, You need to follow mentioned below steps:
- Close all running programs & exit Quickbooks Application too.
- Now download the Quickbooks Tool Hub file (Quickbookstoolhub.exe) from Here.
- Save the downloaded file to a location which is one click away access (Like; Windows Desktop)
- Now open the downloaded file.
- Now the windows will appears with instructions to follow (Please follow the provided steps to install the tool)
- The installation is completed, Now you just have to double click on the Icon showing on your windows desktop to run the tool.
Note: If you’re not able to find the icon on your windows desktop, please click on the windows start button & search for quickbooks tool hub & then choose the program.
2. Step Two: Run “Fix my Program” from The Quickbooks Tool Hub
There are multiple tools in the QuickBooks tool hub, which help to resolve the different types of problems users face when opening the company file.
To resolve the issue, you need to follow mentioned below steps:
- Open the quickbooks tools hub & look for Program Problems
- Now, you must choose the “Quick fix my program.
- Next, Start Quickbooks Desktop & then open your .QBW data file.
Hopefully, this problem might have gone, If it still persists, proceed with the Additional solutions.
Additional Ways to Get Rid of The QuickBooks Error 6189 816
Here we have suggested a quick fix further in our article for QuickBooks Error -6189, -816, and we suggest you follow each troubleshooting step in the given order
- Run Quick Fix My Program from The QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Move The Company Files to Your Local Hard Drive
- Download and Run The QuickBooks Refresher Tool
- Backup and Restore The File
- Try to Fix QuickBooks Error 6189 816 Manually
Try the below-listed Solution methods to resolve QuickBooks Error 6189, 816:
1. Method One: Run Quick Fix My Program from The QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tools Hub helps fix common errors, including company file issues, network issues, etc. To use this tool, follow these steps:
Step 1: In the very first step, you have to Download and Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Tool Hub can help you address common errors. Tool Hub is suggested for the best experience on Windows 10, 64-bit:
- Start with closing your QuickBooks Desktop
- The most recent version of the QuickBooks Tool Hub (18.104.22.168) is available for download
- Save the file somewhere you’ll be able to find it quickly (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop)
- Note: If you’ve previously installed Tool Hub, you can check which version you have. The Home tab should be selected. The version will be at the bottom of the page.
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe downloaded file
- Install by following the on-screen instructions and agreeing to the terms and conditions
- To use the tool hub, double-click on the same on your Windows desktop after it has been installed successfully.
Step 2: Run the Quick Fix my Program tool from the Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tools Hub has a set of tools that helps troubleshoot different types of errors when opening a company file.
- Select Program Problems from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Select Quick Fix My Program from the drop-down menu
- Open your data file in QuickBooks Desktop.
If Error 6189, 816 persists, proceed to the next method.
2. Method Two: Move The Company Files to Your Local Hard Drive
You are recommended to Move The Company Files to Your Local Hard Drive manually by following the below-given steps:
- If the issue persists, as well as if the company file is saved on a portable device or online, you should relocate it to the local hard disc.
- QuickBooks files can be stored on the server system’s hard drive. However, online file storage services such as Drop box, Google Drive, and others may appear to be convenient, but they are prone to problems.
- Additionally, you should avoid putting the files on portable devices because they aren’t designed to run QuickBooks or multi-user networks. Another key consideration is to avoid encrypting QuickBooks files on the hard disc where they are stored, as this can prevent a multi-user network connection from being established.
3. Method Three: Download and Run The QuickBooks Refresher Tool
On the system that is experiencing the problem, you should download and run the QuickBooks refresher. This procedure will terminate all background processes that could be causing the problem. This also revitalizes the entire procedure:
- To begin, download the QuickBooks refresher and then install all of the files contained within it
- It is then suggested that you store the files so that you can readily access them
- After that, make sure there are no other processes active on the QuickBooks desktop
- It is therefore suggested that you check and close all QuickBooks versions that are currently running on the system
- After that, double-click the QBRefresher.exe file to start the application
- In addition, the QB Refresher takes only 30 seconds to complete if you follow the onscreen instructions
- The last step is to reopen QuickBooks desktop after the installation is complete.
However, if the problem persists, we recommend performing a full reset.
4. Method Four: Backup and Restore The File
You can save the file on the desktop where QuickBooks is installed.
- On the old system, you must first make a backup file
- Then, on to the new system, copy all backup files:
- It can use a network, once the systems are connected,
- or a flash drive or similar external device
- On the new system, you must restore the backup.
5. Method Five: Try to Fix QuickBooks Error 6189 816 Manually
If you are a technical guy and can do it manually then follow the procedure:
- You must locate and then rename the transaction log file
- Also, check the users’ permissions for the QuickBooks application granted to QBDataServiceUserXX
- Then, make sure the QuickBooks files aren’t encrypted
- You must make a copy of the QB file and then paste it on your desktop
- Finally, if the file still won’t open, go to the folder where it was originally saved.
Need Professional Help?
Get The Instant Solution With Live Chat Experts
Are you still not able to resolve your QuickBooks issue? We have a team of QuickBooks experts with years of experience in resolving errors and issues. If you need any help asap, CHAT NOW our experts.
What are the indications of QuickBooks error 6189 816?
You check the complete list of signs and symptoms of this error code:
💠 Loss of connection to files from QuickBooks Company.
💠 The user of QuickBooks cannot open/access the QB Company files.
💠 Although the user is wrongly opening the previous version of the QB Company file in the current version,
💠 The system suddenly freezes, which leads the system to act unresponsively.
💠 The machine is unable to open/access the necessary programs by taking or reading commands.
Can QuickBooks Tool Hub help me to fix QuickBooks error code 6189 816 and how?
Yes, using QB Tool Hub helps you to fix this error. It has a set of tools that helps troubleshoot different types of errors or problems when opening a company file.
To resolve the issue, follow these steps:
💠 Select the Program Problems within the QuickBooks Tools Hub
💠 Select the option Quick Fix my Program
💠 Now, launch your QuickBooks Desktop and then open your company data file (.QBW).
How Do I Run Fix My Program from the QuickBooks Tool Hub?
To use this tool, you need to first download and install it.
💠 Initially, close your QuickBooks software
💠 Next, download the Tool Hub file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe)
💠 Now, save your downloaded file to a particular location where you can easily find
💠 After that, open the downloaded file
💠 Perform the on-screen procedure to install the Tool
💠 Double-click on the icon once the installation is successfully complete.
Can I resolve the QuickBooks error 6189-816 using QuickBooks Tools Hub?
Yes, you can fix the QuickBooks error 6189-816 and other issues related to the company file with QuickBooks Tool Hub. You have to download and install the QuickBooks tool hub to use it for rectifying the company file errors, network problems. The downloading link is easily available across the internet, click on it and start the downloading process.
Why does QuickBooks error code 6189 816 Pop out on my screen?
Many reasons trigger the display of QuickBooks error 6189 816 for instance corrupted QuickBooks components or missing essential company files, wrong entries in registry folders, issues with hosting processes, or more.
Is there any method available to move the data folder while fixing QuickBooks error code 6189 816?
Yes, you can move the file without affecting the data. To do this firstly discover the file location with the F2 button and give a right-click on the folder after that choose Copy. Once done, now paste the folder on the external devices like a hard drive or thumb drive. Plugin the device into the new computer then copies those files to the local drive. Open the file after the launch of the QuickBooks Desktop.