Guide to Fix QuickBooks Error 6144, 82
QuickBooks software is the most sought after accounting software that has garnered hordes of popularity in its field due to incredibly powerful tools and features integrated into an otherwise user friendly and intuitive dashboard. The software has made significant changes in the way financial activities are handled as opposed to the manner in which they were conducted earlier manually by the accountants and bookkeepers.
The software is quite adept in tackling even the most complex of tasks without needing interference from the user. However, it is as susceptible to errors and issues as any other software out in the market. One of the most common series or error faced by users most of the time is 6000 series. These series basically interrupt user to access the company file or open the software altogether. With many different errors included within the series, one is QuickBooks Error 6144, 82 which basically indicates issues within the network connection. To resolve it user can either get in touch with the proficient QuickBooks experts or continue down towards different methods of resolution as suggested by Intuit itself.
Before moving onto recovering the software by trying any of the following methods, there are some ground rules and tips to keep in mind while following any of the solution illustrated.
- Easiest way of resolving any QuickBooks error is by downloading QuickBooks File Doctor, easily found in Intuit’s website, and installing it onto the system where the error has occurred. Once the tool starts running it will scan the system and locate the area of issue that results in narrowing down the problem section and resolve it within minutes. However, if the issue does not get located or QuickBooks Error 6144, 82 still persist then it is better to follow methods mentioned below. To download and install the QuickBooks File Doctor tool follow steps written below:
- Download the tool and install it on the system on which QuickBooks software is hosted.
- Once the installation process is completed, run it. However, ensure that you are logged in Administrator to perform resolution.
- Next two options will be showcased – (a) Network Connectivity Only & (b) Both File Damage and Network Connectivity. Click on (a) option as it will ensure that not only QuickBooks Error 6144, 82 gets resolved, it will also detect any data and file corruption.
- User will get a prompt to type in the password. Admin password should be provided at this stage.
- Next the software will ask whether the company file is hosted on Workstation or Server. If it is on Server then click on ‘Yes’ option otherwise select the tab labeled ‘No’.
- Click on Proceed button, which will provide extensive results on the system regarding the QuickBooks Error 6144, 82.
- Ensure that the version and edition of QuickBooks used is up to date to latest update release by Intuit and is also upgraded to latest version.
- It is necessary to understand that whether the software is hosted locally or is accessed over a network server the 6000 series error can still occur.
- Ensure that the file is tried to be accessed after completion of every method in order to verify what the root cause was and which error worked best.
Assumption: For the following method to work it is assumed that the file is to be opened on a network server as the software is hosted on another computer system.
Method 1: Verify hosting feature for all systems
It is advised that only one system or network server hosts the software and its connected company files. To verify this follow the steps below:
- Click on F2 button on keyboard. It will provide a new window displaying the required details about the software.
- Locate the area displaying Local Server Information. Under this hosting icon should be turned off.
Method 2: Reset the setting under ports for Firewall
One of the most common reasons behind inaccessibility of any file over a network is that the systems security software and firewall is set to restrict entry and exit of certain areas. It is quite possible firewall is restricting entry for QuickBooks over a server. All the user has to do is reset the permission restrictions and issue will be resolved.
Method 3: Manually track the settings for permission to access the folder
At times permission settings for the folder contradicts access to company file. If that is the case user will not be able to open and access the company files unless the setting are reconfigured. It can be done manually very easily without needing any technical knowledge whatsoever.
This should resolve the issue and QuickBooks Error 6144, 82 quite easily. However, if the error still persists it is better to connect with certified QuickBooks customer support team who is adept in handling all sorts of QuickBooks technical issues in stipulated time period. User can alternatively connect with us through our Toll Free Number 1-855-481-5338 or connect via live chat on accountingerrors.com.
You might also interested to read topic on Experts Advice to Fix QuickBooks Error 6144, 304