Are you unable to take backup of your company file on QuickBooks or getting QuickBooks backup error or facing restoring problems along with few others like:
- QuickBooks 2016 backup failed
- QuickBooks backup error rebuild
- QuickBooks backup warning failed
- QuickBooks restore backup failed
- QuickBooks local backup not working
- QuickBooks scheduled backup not working
- QuickBooks restore failed invalid format
- QuickBooks crashes when restoring backup
- QuickBooks POS 2013 restore backup failed
- Detected a problem that prevents backup from continuing
- QuickBooks restore failed cannot remove log file
- QuickBooks encountered a problem attempting to backup
- 1 Causes of QuickBooks Backup Problems
- 2 Before moving to the exact solution, You need to consider below points
- 3 Solution: How to Perform the Backup Process
- 4 1. Problem One: QuickBooks not Updating
- 5 2. Problem Two: PDF issues on windows 8?
- 6 FAQ
Causes of QuickBooks Backup Problems
- QuickBooks company file data has been damaged.
- The setting of the wrong backup path can cause QuickBooks to freeze.
- And if enough space is not available on the memory to store the backup files.
- If the company file name is exceeding the limit of the 65 characters
- The size of the company file is more than 3 GB.
- When the Company backup file is stored on the external device
Before moving to the exact solution, You need to consider below points
- Ensure the media you would like to use to take backup of our QuickBooks company files have enough storage space. This is because the latest version of QuickBooks comes with heavier size, especially after QuickBooks 2007 than the earlier versions due to their enhanced security features.
- It is very important to note that at times the external storage devices may get damaged due to unwanted reasons. That’s why it is highly recommended to use absolutely new CD, USB flash drive or Zip disk to take the backup of your QuickBooks company files.
- Do you know that before taking backup of your company files, QuickBooks check the genuineness of the data? And in case, if the data doesn’t come out to be clear, you will get a verification error and you wont be able to take the backup. It will come to a halt instantly. In order to fix the problem to rebuild the data and once again verify the data. Once it comes out clear, you can proceed to take the backup.
- Also, there might be instances or situations when you may be required to continually rebuild your data file while taking backup, and there might be a poor connection between your PC and the location of your data- due to which you may not be able to run a backup. To fix the problem, make sure to that the connection is good. In case you are using any kind of removable storage media, ensure it is properly inserted/connected.
- Sometimes, Windows permission error might also create a problem while taking backup. Which means you may nit get Windows permission to transfer files to the location where you want to run a backup. In order to fix the Windows permission error, look out for Microsoft Help “Folder permissions” to know more about folder permissions for Microsoft Windows.
- Always remember, if you want to take a scheduled backup, ensure to store Windows login information in the backup schedule. And also that the user login has the permission by Windows to transfer the data at a specified location.
- In case, unfortunately, the backup process fails in between, you can even check the location where you backup log file is saved. For “Windows XP or Windows 2000 check at C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name)\Local Settings\Application Data\intuit\Quickbooks\log\qbbackup.log” and for Windows Vista at “ C:\Users\(your user name)\App Data\Local\intuit\Quickxbooks\log\qbbackup.log.”
Need not worry, just try and follow the given below solutions to troubleshoot the problem and take backup of your company files on QuickBooks successfully.
However, if you are unable to locate the qbbackup.log file, it is possible that the file is hidden in Windows.
1. Locate the qbbackup.log file for Windows XP follow the below steps:
- Right-click on the Windows Start button
- Now click on Explore and then go to Tools
- Go to Folder Options and then click on the View tab.
- Click on Show hidden files and folders.
2. Locate the qbbackup.log file for Windows Vista do the following steps:
- Right-click on the Windows Start button.
- Now click on Explore and then click on the Organize drop-down menu
- Now click on Folder and Search Options.
- After that click on the View tab
- Now go the Hidden files and folders, click on Show hidden files and folders.
Solution: How to Perform the Backup Process
Back up of the company file acts as a save point for the accounting information. Here are the steps to make a backup file to use it for restoring data in the future:
Total Time: 7 minutes
1. Step One: Create a backup of the company file:
💠 Open your QuickBooks
💠 Locate file option
💠 Choose switch to single-user mode.
💠 Re-locate file menu and click on Backup company
💠 Choose the option named create Local Backup.
💠 In the appearing window, hit on Local Backup and then choose the Next button.
💠 Discover Local Bank only option and give a click on Browse
💠 Choose the preferred location to save the backup company file.
💠 Adjust the number of backups you need to keep. It is an optional step.
💠 Run a test to ensure that the backup file is in proper format and contain accurate data
💠 Once you are prepared, and then click on OK.
💠 Choose Save it now and then hit on the Next button.
💠 Once done, you will get a notified message that a single backup company file is created.
2. Step Two: Apply Backup settings
Locate the file option and then click on Backup Company to view the information regarding the backup. It will help you to view the time & date of the backup in the future.
Here are the steps you need to follow for modifying the backup preferences:
💠 Locate the file
💠 Click on Backup Company
💠 Choose the Create Local Backup option
💠 Hit on options
💠 Perform changes and then click OK
However, before trying the afore-mentioned solutions, it is recommended to open QuickBooks and try to take backup of your company files once again. It might be possible that you may have unintentionally clicked the Cancel button, which might have stopped QuickBooks to take backup. However, if you are still unable to take the backup, try the aforementioned solutions.
1. Problem One: QuickBooks not Updating
In order to get the best out of QuickBooks, it is very important to keep updating the software with all the important updates, making doing all kinds of accounting and financial activities all the more fun and less complicated.
If you are unable to install QuickBooks updates on your computer; you have come to the right place. In this section, you can find out comprehensive step-by-step instructions on how to install the latest updates for QuickBooks 2016 without experiencing any error.Show More
Solution : How to Install Latest Quickbooks Update
To install latest QuickBooks updates, do the following:
- Step 1: Download QuickBooks update and save it at a preferred location.
- Step 2: Now open the below given links that is compatible with the edition of QuickBooks you are using.:-
- Pro, Premier and Premier Accountants Edition 2016 R7
- Enterprise Solutions 2016 R7
- Step 2: In case QuickBooks is running on your desktop, close it.
- Step 3: Now locate the downloaded file and double-click on it to begin the installation.
- Step 4: Once the installation is complete, reboot your computer.
- Step 5: Now open QuickBooks on your desktop and see the program release.
- Step 6: To go through the product information, press F2 on your keyboard.
- Step 7: There you will be able to see the version of your QuickBooks followed by its release number. For QuickBooks 2016 the release number should be R7. If you are able to see QuickBooks 2016 R7, then congratulation you have successfully installed all the latest updates for the software.
- Step 8: Now click on Ok in order to close the window.
- Step 9: If you have subscribed to Payroll feature of QuickBooks 2016, you can also check the Tax Table version by following the given below steps:
- Open the Employee menu.
- Choose My Payroll Service.
- Then select Tax Table Information.
Note: However, if you are using QuickBooks in a Multi User environment, you can follow the above-mentioned instructions on other PCs too. Once you update QuickBooks on all the machines, you can lo into the company file. Also, after successfully installing QuickBooks updates, it is very important to not update any company file on a network connection. Instead, it is recommended to first copy the company file to a local installation and then open it and update it. Once completed, close the file and then copy it back on the network location.
In addition to this, it is also worthy to note that some QuickBooks updates may make some modifications to the structure of the data file. So while opening the company file for the first time file after installing updates for the software, you might notice a progress bar implicating that the structure change is being implemented. Always remember, it is very important to enable all the changes to take place. Never ever end the task on QuickBooks while the changes are happening.Show Less
2. Problem Two: PDF issues on windows 8?
Solution One: How to Resolve PDF Issues on Windows 8
Are you unable to save QuickBooks e-mail forms, reconciliation reports as PDF file on your Windows 8 PC? Fred not!
By following the given below steps you can easily save any QuickBooks document as PDF file on your Windows 8 based PC:
- Step 1: First of all, download as well printer drivers for Windows 7 XPS document writer. Now extract the files on your Windows 8 PC.
- Step 2: Now copy and then paste this folder to the following location C Drive\Windows\System32.
- Step 3: Press Windows+R to open the Run box. Now type Control.exe Printer. Now press Enter to open Devices and Printers.
- Step 4: Right-click on Microsoft XPS Document Wrietr.
- Step 5: Click on Remove Device.
- Step 6: Click on Add a new printer.
- Step 7: Click on A printer that wasn’t listed.
- Step 8: Now choose Add local printer with manual settings.
- Step 9: Click on Next.
- Step 10: Choose the radio button in order to create a new port. After that, click on Next.
- Step 11: Enter XPS as a port and click on Ok.
- Step 12: Click on Have disk and go to C Drive\Windows\System32\Microsoft XPS Document Writer.
- Step 13: Select the prnms001 file.
- Step 14: Click on Open and select Ok.
- Step 15: Choose replace Current drivers. Then click on Next.
- Step 16: Now type the name of the printer will appear as Microsoft XPS Document Writer. Click on Next and select Finish.
Now you can check and try to save any QuickBooks document as PDF file on you Windows 8 PC. To test:
- Open QuickBooks.
- Open any invoice
- Click on File and save as PDF. (Save the file on your desktop and see if the invoice is saved as PDF).
Solution Two: QuickBooks and Windows 8 compatibility issue
However, if the above given solution didn’t fix the problem, it is recommended to check what version of QuickBooks you are using. It is always recommended to use the most latest version of QuickBooks, may be QuickBooks 10 or higher version on Windows 8. Also, check the version of Windows you have- whether it is 32-bit or 64-bit? It is suggested to check the version of your Windows because certain QuickBooks features might be suppressed and may create compatibility problem on your Windows 8 based PC.
Solution Three: Still can’t save QuickBooks documents as PDF
Unfortunately, if all fails and it is getting tougher to fix the problem, we have listed below some problems (as per QuickBooks variations) that might be creating the problem.
- With QuickBooks 2011 and higher version- In case you are unable to save any file as PDF on QuickBooks 2011 or higher version then there might be a problem with Microsoft Document Writer. To fix the problem, you can try reinstalling it to fix the problem.
- With QuickBooks 2010 and older version on Windows 8 32-bit system-In such cases, the problem may occur due to the temporary files and the printer spooler and driver.
- With QuickBooks 2010 and older version on Windows 8 64-bit system- Here you might not be able to save QuickBooks documents as PDF due to your printer’s driver.
See if you fall into any of the above-mentioned categories and troubleshoot the problem accordingly.
You might also interested to read topic on How to Create a Backup using Intuit Data Protect (IDP).
What if I got an error while doing a backup of my company file showing the file name is not correct then what to do to fix this QuickBooks backup problem?
This means that you have to rename the company file to make it correct and resolve the error.
The steps are:-
1. Go to the file of which you want to change the name
2. Now right-click on the file
3. Select rename option
4. Write the new file name and make sure to not write any special characters
5. Press Enter button to rename it and you are done.
What triggers the QuickBook backup problems?
There are many reasons that cause QuickBooks backup problems such as the storage device is not available. The backup is now not connected to your computer. The company file is damaged for many other reasons.
Is the QuickBooks File doctor tool works to fix QuickBooks backup problems?
The company file got affected by this error. The QuickBooks File Doctor tool can help in fixing the issues you are facing in your data files. So, run the tool and fix the issue easily with a few steps. run the tool hub then run the file doctor tool and repair the data file to fix the glitches.