Users receive an error message which says “QuickBooks cannot complete the current action due to missing components” when they request to print invoice, checks, paychecks, reports, etc. However, this error message also takes place when users try to print their PDF file in the application. Users may be confused by an error message since it does not specify which component is missing or what the next step should be to correct the problem. QuickBooks printing issues is a common issue that can be easily fixed just by implementing a few steps or you can use QuickBooks PDF and Print Repair Tool. Moreover, this article clarifies the reasons behind the error or quick effective troubleshooting to fix the error. If you’re facing the same printing issue, continue reading this article till the end to get your error resolved easily.
- 1 What promotes “QuickBooks component missing” error message
- 2 Prerequisites that can be taken place before implementing advanced troubleshooting
- 3 How to overcome an error message “QuickBooks cannot complete the current action due to a missing component”
- 3.1 Solution 1: Update/Repair Adobe Acrobat Reader
- 3.2 Solution 2: Use QuickBooks Print & PDF Repair Tool
- 3.3 Solution 3: Enable Microsoft XPS Document Writer
- 3.4 Solution 4: Reset the Permissions for TEMP Folder
- 3.5 Solution 5: Check the Printer Settings
- 3.6 Solution 6: Verify whether the printers supports XPS software or not
- 4 FAQ
What promotes “QuickBooks component missing” error message
This error can be caused due to multiple reasons. The below are few listed reasons due to which the error repeatedly crop up on your screen:
- Outdated QuickBooks Desktop version
- Microsoft XPS Document Writer is turned off in your Windows Settings
- The Adobe Reader’s components may be missing, damaged, or outdated.
Prerequisites that can be taken place before implementing advanced troubleshooting
There are two important pointers that you should consider and that includes:
Update your QuickBooks Desktop
- Start with closing your QuickBooks software
- Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard
- Perform double-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop
- Wait until QuickBooks is open on your computer before you release the keys
- You’ll see that “No Company” is present to activate the window
- Go to the Help menu >>> update QuickBooks Desktop
- Toggle to the top of the page to the Update Now tab
- Choose “Get Updates” from the drop-down menu
- When the QuickBooks update is complete, click the “Close” tab.
Create a Company File Backup
- In the very first step, open your QuickBooks Desktop
- Move to the File menu and then click on the “Back up Company” followed by clicking “Create Local Backup”
- In the final step, perform instructions that appear on your screen to create a backup of the company file.
How to overcome an error message “QuickBooks cannot complete the current action due to a missing component”
Well, you’re aware of the possible causes, now you need to implement the below-suggested solutions to get rid of this printing issue in QuickBooks. Let’s proceed,
Solution 1: Update/Repair Adobe Acrobat Reader
This solution mainly involves two steps:
Step 1: To install Adobe Acrobat Reader
- On your desktop, click the start button
- Next, type Adobe into the Search Programs and Files search box
- Choose Adobe Reader from the drop-down menu at the top of the page
- Under the Help menu, choose Check for Updates
- You can manually download the setup file from the Adobe Product Download Page
- Follow the steps outlined in the Adobe installation manual.
Step 2: Repair Adobe Reader
- Close all open windows and browser tabs on your computer
- In the Run window text box, press the Windows + R keys together on your keyboard and type appwiz.cpl
- Uninstall / Change Adobe Reader by double-clicking on it from the list
- Next, select the “Repair” tab
- Press “Next” once again followed by selecting “Install” button
- After the installation is complete, click “Finish” and then restart Windows
- If you still can’t print PDF from QuickBooks due to a missing component issue, move on to the next troubleshooting solution.
Solution 2: Use QuickBooks Print & PDF Repair Tool
This tool is specially designed to fix the error related to printing in QuickBooks. This solution carry two steps:
1st step: Download and Install QuickBooks Tool Hub on your system
- If QuickBooks is open, press Alt + F4 on your keyboard to close it
- To achieve the greatest results, get the most recent version of QuickBooks Tool Hub, which is presently 188.8.131.52
- Now double-click the downloaded QB Tool Hub file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe)
- To finish the installation, follow the instructions on your computer screen
- At the end, agree to the terms and conditions.
2nd step: Run the QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool from QB Tool Hub
- Click the Program Problems tab in QB Tool Hub
- Find QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool, pick it, and execute it
- Once the tool is done with repairing PDF & Printed related errors, try to print PDF, invoices, and more.
Solution 3: Enable Microsoft XPS Document Writer
Using the instructions below, turn on XPS Document Writer from the Microsoft Windows settings to resolve the “QuickBooks cannot complete the current action due to a missing component” issue:-
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard at the same time, then type appwiz.cpl into the search box
- Next, hit the “Enter” key, then select Turn Windows features on or off from the left-hand panel on the screen
- Verify that the Microsoft XPS Document Writer checkbox is selected
- To see if the “QuickBooks cannot complete the current action due to a missing component” problem has been fixed, try printing from QuickBooks once again.
Solution 4: Reset the Permissions for TEMP Folder
QuickBooks may be unable to access the component required for PDF printing owing to permission difficulties with your TEMP (temporary) folder. Following the instructions below will help you fix the “Component Required for PDF Print from QuickBooks is missing” error by resetting Temp folder permissions.
Step 1: Set Full Control for the Temp Folder Permissions
- By pressing the Windows + R keys on your keyboard at the same time, you can get the RUN command window
- Now, you need to type “%TEMP%” and then press the Enter key in the dialogue window
- Do a right-click on an empty area in the Temp folder and choose Properties from the drop-down menu
- Select the “Security” tab from the drop-down menu
- Make sure that all user names and groups have Full Control on the Security tab.
If you need to give Full Control permission to any user or group, follow these steps:-
- Click the Edit option on the Security tab, then select the user or group name
- Next to Full Control, select the Allow checkbox
- In the end, you must click the “Ok “button to save your changes.
Step 2: Make sure you can print to XPS (Only for Save as PDF and Email Issues)
- Open Notepad by going to the Windows Start menu and typing “Notepad” in the search field
- Type “Test 1” in Notepad
- Select the Print option from the drop-down menu on the File menu
- Select XPS Document Writer now, and then press the Print button
- Make a name for the file and save it to your Windows desktop
- View the XPS document you printed from the notepad on your desktop.
Solution 5: Check the Printer Settings
- To begin with restarting your computer and printer as well
- Next, hit the Windows + R keys together to bring up the Run window
- After that, type the Control Panel and then hit the Ok button
- Once done with that then select the “Hardware and Sound” >>> “Devices and Printers”
- If your printer status is offline, do a right-click on “Use Printer Online” and select “Use Printer Online”
- If there are a lot of documents waiting to be printed, you should cancel them all
- In the end, you must reprint the test page.
Solution 6: Verify whether the printers supports XPS software or not
- Start with attempting to open the Webpage and server to print
- Next, print using the Microsoft XPS as a mode of carrier
- After that, click on the file that you have saved on your desktop
- Also, make sure that you save your file on your desktop
- In case, you are still not able to print invoices, PDF files, reports, etc then you’re supposed to download and install the Microsoft XPS.
This brings us to the conclusion of this article. After reading this post, we believe users will find it much easier to deal with “QuickBooks cannot complete the current action due to a missing component” issue in QB program. But if you are still finding difficulties in rectifying your issues, you’re suggested to get in touch with Team of Experts via LIVE CHAT.
Get The Instant Solution With Live Chat Experts
Are you still not able to resolve your QuickBooks issue? We have a team of QuickBooks experts with years of experience in resolving errors and issues. If you need any help asap, CHAT NOW our experts.
Is it possible to update QuickBooks Desktop outside the application?
Yes, you can easily update your QB outside the application. To do so, you have to visit the QuickBooks Download and Update web-page and then proceed the further steps:
1. Select a product from the drop-down list by clicking the QuickBooks Desktop drop-down arrow
2. Fill in the Country, Product, and Version fields, then click Search
3. Hit Get the most recent updates and then save the file to your preferred location.
What to do if there is a missing component which needs you to print a PDF file in QuickBooks?
You should start attempting with installing Microsoft XPS Writer to begin printing your documents once again. Next, perform double-click on the Explorer and open it then choose the installation option. If necessary, you can cancel it as well. After that, turn on/off the viewer and service as per your requirements in XPS. Once done then recheck the file. To do so, you have to check your printer setting (reinstall the printer, if needed). Finally, try to create a PDF file in QuickBooks and print it once again.
How can I verify whether the XPS Services are enabled or not?
It is pretty simple, you just have to follow the below steps:
1. To open the window explorer, hit the Windows key while also pressing the E key
2. Select the ‘Computer tab’ in the upper left corner
3. Under the System group, select uninstall or alter a program
4. The user must now turn on or off the ‘Turn Windows Features’ option on the left
5. Finally, check that both the XPS Services and the XPS Viewer are turned on.