QuickBooks is an accounting software used by many small and medium-size businesses to handle their financial, accounting and tax related services. It happens at times that when you are installing or updating QuickBooks Desktop, an error occurs. The error displays this message on screen: Error 1603: There was a problem installing Microsoft .NET Framework [version] or Error 1603: The update installer has encountered an internal error.
Receiving this error could be downright frustrating. This error occurs mostly because either the Microsoft Windows Installer is damaged or QuickBooks installation gets interrupted.
Cause Behind This QuickBooks Desktop Error 1603
There are two reasons for this error, and, therefore, there are two methods to solve this error accordingly:
- When the error occurs at the time of installing QuickBooks, we will either repair or reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework.
- In case the error pops-up while updating QuickBooks, we will have to uninstall QuickBooks and then reinstall it using the clean install.
How to resolve QuickBooks Desktop Error 1603?
1. Method One: Repairing or Reinstalling MIcrosoft .NET Framework
We will have to download and run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool to resolve this issue. The best part of this tool is that it is automatic. It itself diagnoses fixes the issues pertaining to Microsoft .NET Framework, C++ and MSXML. It is recommended that you must use this tool before trying any other method to resolve the issue.
We will follow these steps:
- Download and install the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Upon the prompt we will save the file to the local Desktop
- We will now double-click on QBInstall_Tool_v2.exe to run it. However, we will have to turn off any other running program before proceeding to this step.
- Once we are done with the diagnosis, we will restart the computer to make certain that other components get updated.
2. Method Two: Updating Windows to the Latest Release
In case you keep getting the same error even after following the first process, you will need to update WIndows and its missing components related to .NET Framework, MSXML and C++. It is simple to update your WIndows:
- Press Windows key on the keyboard.
- We will search for Windows Update in the search bar.
- In one of the results that appear on the screen, we will check for Updates.
Or we will need to manually update .NET Framework.
3. Method Three: Reinstalling QuickBooks using Clean Install
Performing a clean install might fix the issue for good. A clean install is a process where we uninstall QuickBooks Desktop for Windows, rename the installation files that are left behind, and then try to restart the program. Please note that you might need to make a backup of your QuickBooks Desktop, otherwise if you have the installation CD and Licence numbers with you, it will do.
Three easy steps are given below:
- Uninstalling the QuickBooks Desktop.
- On the keyboard press Windows Key+R.
- Now you are supposed to type Control Panel and hit Okay.
- Program and Features> control Panel> Uninstall a Program
- QuickBooks Desktop> Uninstall/Change
- Uninstall the program.
- Renaming the Installation Folders
- Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
Need Professional Help?
Following any of the methods above should solve your QuickBooks Desktop Error 1603. In case you find that you are not comfortable with the whole process, or you need to get some technical assistance, you can contact a QuickBooks Technical Support team. They are a third-party company who provide QuickBooks Technical Support for QuickBooks and Related Products. You can reach them by calling at their toll-free number 📞+1-855-481-5338. They provide their services 24*7 across the world.