QuickBooks Doc helps you to add or scan a document like a customer’s invoice, vendors bill, or employees payslip, and then attach to a transaction, send it in form of attachment all in one place.
“Failed to attach the document. System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file ‘driverletter:filepath/filename/filetype‘ because it is being used by another process.”
- 1 What Causes The Fill Attachment Error?
- 2 Reasons QuickBooks Crashes
- 3 Things To Check While Resolving The Attachment Issue
- 4 Solutions of “QuickBooks Crashes When Attaching File” Error
- 5 FAQ
What Causes The Fill Attachment Error?
QuickBooks crashes while trying to attach a document to QuickBooks or Reckon accounts and the document the user is trying to attach is open. In such cases, while trying to attach a document to a bill or invoice, users may get this error message.
Reasons QuickBooks Crashes
Some of the most commonly referenced ones on the Intuit Community:
- Data file size is too big
- Your anti-virus may be hindering the process
- Corrupt or damaged data file
- Your hard drive is corrupted
- System or computer issues.
- The company name is too long
- Damaged program files or QuickBooks Desktop installation
- System is too old.
- And also if the system is too new.
- Long data file.
- Maybe the hard drive corrupted.
- Using too long a company name.
- Damaged or corrupted database.
- The program files are also damaged.
- Improper installation of QuickBooks Desktop.
Things To Check While Resolving The Attachment Issue
- Be up to date with all updates and patches
- Check Document Canter in QuickBooks to see if documents are being saved to the program
- In your default PDF reader check Adobe Acrobat as your default PDF reader by going to settings > apps > default apps > choose default app by file type
Solutions of “QuickBooks Crashes When Attaching File” Error
There are four possible solution for this “quickbooks crashes when attaching file error, Which are following below. You can use try one after another till you resolved the problem.
Total Time: 5 minutes
1. Solution One : Reset your temp folder permissions
Check the folder permissions and reset it for the TEMP folder:
💠 Open RUN command and type %TEMP% and press Enter
💠 Right-click on the temp folder > Choose Properties > Click on the Security tab
💠 Ensure all usernames and groups permissions are set to Full Control.
💠 Now attempt to save the PDF again within QuickBooks
2. Solution Two : Confirm If You Can Print To XPS
💠 QuickBooks also uses parts of XPS document writer which is a Microsoft product to save as PDF
💠 Open Notepad and type something on it
💠 Go to File > Print> Choose XPS Document Writer > Select Print
💠 In the save as dialogue box, choose Desktop as the location
💠 Check on your desktop if you can view the XPS document you’ve printed
💠 In case you fail to see the document saved in XPS form, you need to reinstall and adjust permission for XPS document
💠 Since it’s a Microsoft product, you need to contact them for help or call our AccountingErrors for help
3. Solution Three : Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
💠 Press Windows+R simultaneously to open the Run command.
💠 Type in Control Panel > Click OK > Click Programs and Features > Select QuickBooks and click Uninstall/Change
💠 Follow prompts and complete the process
4. Solution Four : Rename The Installation Folders
💠 Download QuickBooks Clean Install tool. Exe and save it on the desktop
💠 Open the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe file and accept the license agreement
💠 Choose your version of QuickBooks Desktop > Click Continue < Click OK to install QB to the default directory
Also Find : QuickBooks Crashes Again and Again?
Get Experts Support – AccountingErrors
AccountingErrors helpline is open 24*7 for all your doubts or queries, you can chat live with our advisor by opening the chat QuickBooks Support Number window from the bottom right on our site AccountingErrors. Alternatively, you can Call us at + and mention in detail about the issue and our advisor will get right back with the solution to help you get back on track at the earliest.
Why does the QB keep crashing when attaching a file?
QuickBooks usually crashes which appears due to the damaged company installation file. This issue appears while sending an invoice, email or when trying to open the company file. It may slow down the processing and if it takes too long you might lose your data.
How can I fix the crash issues while attaching an invoice file?
Open the Customers menu and then go to the Customer center. Now, you have to choose the invoice and hit the click on the “Attach File” button. After this, click on the “Where the attachment comes from” and choose the document. Hit the double click on it and then mark the attachment. Once you completed the program, then click on the “Done” option. But, the user has to ensure that the file button has a number on it.
Where can I find the QuickBooks attached documents?
The attached files are generally found in the attached folder which is in a similar location as your company file. If you are unable to locate there then, search the location where you manually saved the files.