A highly recommendable and useful tool offered by Intuit is the QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you would like help with installing, updating, and setting up the QuickBooks Database Manager, then read this blog.
“QuickBooks Database Server Manager” a utility that enables your configuration with QuickBooks to access on multi-user platform. QuickBooks is an accounting software that endorses you to handle all your financial transactions and bookkeeping. Irrespective of what type of business you have or you are operating. It assists and guide you through all accounting problems.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager helps creating files for network data and for company also that they can be stored on the Host Computer. Even with Multiple features of Database Server Manager, you can have multiple processes version in chronological order in one software. It also ensures proper functioning of Database Services in background.
- 1 Downloading The QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 2 System Requirements for QB Database Server Manager
- 3 Features of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 4 Set Up Process and Steps to Use The QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 5 Alternate Method to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 6 How to Configuring the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- 7 FAQs
Downloading The QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To download the quickbooks database server manager, You need to follow mentioned below steps:
- Open the QuickBooks Installer and start the Installation Wizard
- Now check if you are connected to the Internet if not connect your computer to an Internet connection.
- After connecting click next to go-ahead
- You might see the Agreement and License to accept. Click to accept it and click Next
- Locate and click on Custom or Network options
- Proceed and select the method you want to install the QB Database Server manager
- Check if license number is required and enter the same
- Click Yes to proceed
- Read all the messages available on the screen and complete the installation
System Requirements for QB Database Server Manager
To download and install QuickBooks Database Server Manager your computer should have some requirements without which QB Server manager cant be installed.
System requirements are:
- Dual Core Processor
- Windows Operating System – Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Linux Operating System
- Good Speed Internet
- 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM
- 2.5 GB Space
- Database Server Manager – Windows server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2011, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 SP1, etc.
Features of QuickBooks Database Server Manager
There are some features of QB Database Server Manager which are mentioned below.
1. Feature Type One: Database Server Features
You can open the QB Database Server Manager for the below usage.
- User list who logged in to every company file and these company files are connected to the server
- Status which shows the QB Database Server service list. These services should be active when the server is hosting the file
- To change the status of the service you can use the Service Administrative Tool to configure, it also helps to configure the service
2. Feature Type Two: Update Features
It also helps to download QB Server Updates and viewing the QB Server versions.
- Go to Start button >>> Click Program or search for QuickBooks Database Manager and click it
- Now click to Updates to check if any updates are available or not
- If any update is available it shows you and accordingly follows the messages on the screen to complete the update
3. Feature Type Three: System Features
If you want to get any system information where the Database Server is installed you can use the system feature.
- Go to Start button >>> Program >>> QuickBooks >>> QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Search and click the “System” option
- At the end, locate “System Information” for the computer in which the Database Server has been installed.
Set Up Process and Steps to Use The QuickBooks Database Server Manager
To set up & how to Use Quickbooks database server manager, You need to follow mentioned below steps:
Total Time: 18 minutes
Step 1: Opening the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
💠 In this step, you have to open the QB Database Server Manager.
💠 To do that click Windows button
💠 then go to Programs >>> QuickBooks
💠 QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Step 2: Scan Your Folder Features
Company files that are available on the server need to be checked whether they are allowing access to other users to get the files easily.
💠 Go to Windows button >>> Programs>>> QuickBooks >>> QuickBooks Database Server Manager
💠 Now click the Scan folder option
💠 Look up the folder containing “QuickBooks company files”.
💠 If you don’t find then search it
💠 Once you get the folder having QB company files click Scan
💠 You can see the folder which is scanning through the progress bar
💠 When the scan is done the file which is available in the folder are for multi-user access
Step 3 – How to add a folder
💠 To add the folder you need to follow the below steps
💠 After opening the QB Database Server Manager, click the Add folder option
💠 Now select the folder which you want to add
💠 You can see the location of the Folders containing company file under “Folder that contains QuickBooks company Files”
Steps 4 – Steps to Remove folder
💠 You can remove the folder by first selecting the folder and then clicking on the Remove folder option
Steps 5 – Steps to scan
💠 To scan the folder you can click the scan button
💠 Once the scan process is done you can see the list of company files in that folder which is searched
Step 6 – Monitored Drive Features
💠 While adding any company file to the server, if you want to keep updated your QB Database Server 💠 Manager you can use Monitored Drive Features.
💠 Click Start >>> programs>>> QuickBooks >>> QuickBooks Database Manager
💠 Click the “Monitored Drive Tab” button
💠 Finally click on Remove and Rename and then click Select
Alternate Method to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
There are certain points to be kept in mind prior to installation and even while installing QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Here, we are discussing few tips that help you in installing the documents.
- Click(Double) the installer to start your installation wizard.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the internet so that you can download update. If not connected, click on “no” and then click “Next”.
- Make sure you close all open programs and then click on “Next”.
- Accept “terms in the license agreement” and then click on “Next”.
- Select for custom or network setting and install accordingly.
- Select yes to allow access.
- Enter product number & license number (you will get the guidance on the window for this.)
- Your setup is ready once it has been installed.
1. Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Updates for every software are periodically released and it is always advisable to you to install every latest update that is available.
- At first, you need to download the patch file of QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- A recommended point – you need to reboot the server after the patch installation completes.
- Once your server has been updated, you will receive a message “The company file needs to be updated to work with this version of QuickBooks Desktop”
- The update can create certain changes in the database structures. Hence, you need to take the backup.
- You are ready to open the file once update is done.
2. Setup QuickBooks Database Server Manager
You can use the setup for particularly two purposes.
- Scan the folder that needs to be configured for multi-user access.
- To monitor local drives so that you can configure new company files automatically
For setting up, you need to go through certain vital steps, that we are discussing right now.
- Open – QuickBooks Database Server Manager – You need to go to the folder where QuickBooks Database Server Manager is saved or follow the dedicated path.
- Scan – Folder features– You need to scan all the that are stored in the company files to ensure their proper configuration to allow other’s user access.
- Monitored Drive Features – It keeps your software up-to-date as you add new company files to your server.
- Database Server – The company files that are connected to the server and the list of the users logged in to the company. It makes sure that the system should be running.
How to Configuring the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
If you don’t want default settings you can also configure them in your way.
Just follow the below steps:
- Click on Windows
- In the Search bar type services and open it
- Now search QuickBooksDBXX in which XX is the version number
- Open the QuikcBooksDBXX
- Go to the general tab and get the service status tab
- If you find that the service tab is already running stop it
- Go to start-up type drop-down menu and select the automatic option
- Choose the local system account in the logon tab
- Proceeding further goes to the recovery tab and then choose the restart the service from every drop-down available, First Failure, Second Failure, etc.
- At last go to the general tab and then select Start which restarts the Database server manager
Need Professional Help?
How do I locate the QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
Users have to go to the Start button and then to the All Programs button to find the QBDSM. Click the QBDSM tab and then search the files. After this, search the files and look for the business file folder.
When did you need QuickBooks Database Server Manager?
This tool creates the network data file for each of the company file that is stored on the workstation. If you use different versions of the QuickBooks server, you will also need this Tool.
How does the QuickBooks Database Server Manager benefit you and your business?
QuickBooks Database Server Manager helps you in many ways:
💠 The list of users who are logged in to each company file and the server-connected company files.
💠 Use the Services Administrative Tool to configure QBDBXX services if you want to change the status of the services.
💠 QB Database Server Manager Services will show status. When the server hosting the company files, all the services should be running.