QuickBooks error 6123 happens when QB users attempt to update and open their QuickBooks file via network/multi-user mode. Here, you can find all possible ways to get rid of error 6123 and some precautions that help you work efficiently without facing difficulties.
QuickBooks stores the financial records in the company file. While coping up with a competitive edge when the user tries to upgrade the company file they may face QuickBooks 2018 error code 6123. It usually takes place while opening a company file from a network server or backup restoring. It will interrupt the entire process and create a frustrating scenario. Let’s delve into the QuickBooks error 6123 resolve guide to quickly tackle this. Before proceeding it is recommended to know the overview and causes behind the issue.
- 1 Overview of QuickBooks error codes (-6123 0)
- 2 Reasons for QuickBooks error 6123
- 3 How to fix QuickBooks error code 6123
- 3.1 1. Solution One: Download QuickBooks File Doctor
- 3.2 2. Solution Two: Manually resolve error code -6123, 0
- 3.3 3. Solution Three: Give new name to .ND and .TLG
- 3.4 4. Solution Four: Change the location of your company file in the QuickBooks
- 3.5 5. Solution Five: Auto Data recovery function usage
- 3.6 6. Solution Six: Make a new Windows user
- 3.7 7. Solution Seven: Set the correct folder permissions
- 3.8 8. Solution Eight: Verify the characters in the file name
- 3.9 9. Solution Nine: Download & use the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- 3.10 10. Solution Ten: Company file restore
- 4 FAQs
Overview of QuickBooks error codes (-6123 0)
Many technical glitches provoke the error in the accounting software. Among that QuickBooks Won’t open my company file error 6123 usually occurs while restoring the company files from the backup created on the hard disk or when you try to access the company file through a multi-network server. You need to find the relevant guide to identify the issue and implement the troubleshooting resolutions to fix the error 6123.
Reasons for QuickBooks error 6123
There are certain factors responsible for error 6123 opening older QuickBooks files or QuickBooks error 6123 cannot contact database server.
Some of the primary causes are jotted down:
You may get this error if:Show More
- The network connection with the computer where it is hosted is disrupted.
- The firewall setting is disturbed.
- The QuickBooks database service is running.
- The name of the host computer is changed.
- You are trying to take a backup directly on a flash drive or any other kind of storage device.
How to fix QuickBooks error code 6123
Once you walk through the significant cause now let’s proceed with the implementation of the solutions for a QuickBooks error 6123: In this article, we have discussed some really effective solutions that can assist you to fix the error.
However, make sure to try out all the given solutions in the order given below:
1. Solution One: Download QuickBooks File Doctor
- Download and install QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Then run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- In case, this doesn’t fix the problem, try Solution no.2
2. Solution Two: Manually resolve error code -6123, 0
In case, downloading and running QuickBooks File Doctor didn’t fix your problem, then it is suggested to fix the error manually.
However, before attempting the below given troubleshooting procedures:
- Reboot your computer in order to close all the programs that might be opened. In addition to this, it will also reload the OS as well as reestablish network connections.
- If the version of QuickBooks Desktop you sue is a single-user installation then turn off multi-user hosting.
Now choose the situation that you think suits your problem. For instance, if you installed or updated security software or firewall lately, you can try to fix the problem by going to your firewall settings.
If you aren’t sure, follow the given below solutions:
A. Check the network connection with your host computer
- In case you have a wired connection then it is don’t forget to check the network connections and cables on both the host computer as well as the client computer try to browse the QuickBooks company file.
- Check whether all the other programs along with the resources located on the host computer can be easily accessed. In case not, reboot the host computer- doing so may resolve the problem. If rebooting the issue fixes the problem, the problem might be with the network. Due to the complexity of the wired and wireless networks, your QuickBooks might not get enough support for network configuration.
B. Check the firewall settings
- Check if your firewall or the security software is equipped with all the latest updates as well as network access.
C. Check for hibernation or standby mode on host computer
If the host computer is either on hibernation or standby mode, it can disable you to access your QuickBooks file. To fix the problem, reconfigure or disable the settings of your host computer.
D. Repair damaged network data files (*.nd)
- Press Windows+E on your keyboard. Windows Explorer will open.
- Go to the folder containing the company file.
- Now right click on the file having the same name as your company file as well as the extension .nd.
- Select Rename and change the extension to .ndold.
- Press Enter. Then open QuickBooks Desktops and then the company file. QuickBooks Desktop will now make a new data file for your company file.
Once done, toggle hosting off and then on at the host computer
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now open the company file.
- Select File and then choose Switch to Single User Mode.
- Select File and choose Utilities
- Now click on Stop Hosting Multi-user access.
- Again select File and choose Utilities
- Then select Host Multi-user access.
- Then select File and choose Switch to Multi-User Mode.
3. Solution Three: Give new name to .ND and .TLG
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Initially locate the folder with the company file and open it
- Now select the required .ND file of the company
- Once done you have right-click on the company file
- Select Rename button
- Find the .ND file and give a name to .ND.OLD
- Select the .TLG file and rename it as did previously
- At last, try to open the QuickBooks Company file
4. Solution Four: Change the location of your company file in the QuickBooks
If you face QuickBooks 2015 could not open company file error -6123, then it is the best resolution to move your company file to another place. In case you are using the host connection then copy the Company file from the system and open it to resolve it.
5. Solution Five: Auto Data recovery function usage
To start this method you need to restore the file .ADR copy and check whether it works or not. If the error is due to the corrupted file then it will fix the error code 6123. In case you need to explore more than you have to hit on the data recovery link.
6. Solution Six: Make a new Windows user
Sometimes you might be in a scenario where your ongoing Windows user login gets corrupted. To resolve the issue create a new user in your window.
Here are the steps:
- Initially locate the Control Panel option
- Hit on Create New User choice button in the icon which says, User
- Select the Administrator of user type
- You need to logout from the existing one
- Restart the system and then login into the system with the new user credentials
- Discover the company file and then move it to the desktop
- At last, open your QuickBooks and then try to open the company file
7. Solution Seven: Set the correct folder permissions
- Firstly discover the company file folder in your host system
- It should permit control to the users with the QB database server manager user
8. Solution Eight: Verify the characters in the file name
The users require making sure that the name of the company file covers the following factors:
- The characters should be less than 30
- The company name should not contain the spaces or special characters
9. Solution Nine: Download & use the QuickBooks Tool Hub
- on the preferred location
- Locate the downloaded file click on it
- Go through the onscreen instructions on the prompt to start the installation and also confirm the license agreement
- Wait till the process completes
- After that, the user needs to locate the icon that appears on the Windows Desktop
- It will open the tool hub Window
- Choose the program problems
- Hit on the Quick fix my program
- It might take some time to execute. It usually varies with the multiple version of the accounting software
- Once the process completes re-open the QuickBooks and checks whether the error is fixed or not
10. Solution Ten: Company file restore
The user requires moving the backup file to the hard drive. It is suggested to prevent opening from the removable drive or online storage folder.
Once done, now perform the required steps to proceed with the company file from the backup
How to resolve if the QuickBooks error codes (-6123 0) is found while backup restores on a new computer:
To deal with this situation the user needs to make a portable company file. Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- First of all, open the QuickBooks desktop on the same computer used to make the company file backup
- Now open the original company file on the system
- Make a portable company file
- The proceeding step is to open the QuickBooks desktop on the new computer
- At last, the user requires to use the portable copy to restore the company file
Need Professional Help?
However, if you aren’t able to toggle hosting off and on, it is recommended to reboot your computer in Safe mode with networking and then try again. In case, if you still face any technical problem, feel free to call our QuickBooks error support team at . We offer comprehensive technical support services to troubleshoot all QuickBooks related problems. Our team of technical experts is just a call away.
What do you understand with QuickBooks error 6123?
According to Intuit, “Connection to the QB company file has been lost” pops up when users try to open a company file over a network in multi-user mode or you’re upgrading a company file to a newer QuickBooks version.
What are the various probable ways to get rid of QuickBooks error 6123?
You can easily get rid of this error code just after following any of the below methods:
💠 Download the QB file doctor
💠 By renaming .ND & .TLG file
💠 By moving your company file to another location
💠 Using Auto data recovery function
💠 Disabling the System Security programs
💠 Reinstall the QuickBooks application
💠 Create a new Windows user
💠 Set proper folder permissions
What can be the reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks error 6123?
QuickBooks error code 6123 caused due to several reasons such as:
💠 Restoration of the company file from an external storage device.
💠 Disrupted host server connected to the network.
💠 Damaged data file for QuickBooks Company.
💠 Firewall settings that interrupt QuickBooks in order to open a business.
💠 The McAfee Antivirus program will be mounted on your computer. QuickBooks Desktop Services are messing with it.
💠 Damaged Windows.