What is Error Code 6177, 0 in QuickBooks
The QuickBooks error code 6177 0 is encountered when QuickBooks is trying to open the company file in multi-user mode. There is more than one reason for this error including Firewall issues, network problems, corrupted data files, and more. No Worry! Fixation is also pretty easy, simply run the QuickBooks Diagnostic or File Doctor Tool on the server.
Error: QuickBooks Error Code 6177 0
Error Message: Error -6177, 0: QuickBooks is attempting to open this company file.
All of a sudden QuickBooks Error 6177 message pop-up on the screen when users are trying to access their company file. The error message states that Error (6177 0): QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close.
We are sorry for the inconvenience! It occurs when we attempt to access a file stored on a server computer from a local computer. Networking issues, corrupted data documents, upgrading to an older version of the software, software program installation failures, firewall issues, and so on are some of the causes of this QuickBooks error. However, the error can be fixed by implementing the solutions that are addressed in the below write-up.
- 1 What is Error Code 6177, 0 in QuickBooks
- 2 Possible reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 6177 0
- 3 Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6177 0
- 4 System Requirements to avoid QuickBooks Error 6177 0
- 5 Precautions to take before Resolutions QuickBooks Error 6177 0
- 6 Solutions of Quickbooks Error 6177 0
- 6.1 1. Solution One: Moving the file to the local drive
- 6.2 2. Solution Two: Using QuickBooks File Doctor
- 6.3 3. Solution Three: Resolving 6177, 0 manually
- 6.4 4. Solution Four: Update QuickBooks software with the latest release
- 6.5 5. Solution Five: Rename the .ND file
- 6.6 6. Solution Six: Try fixing Error 6177 0 by running QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM)
- 6.7 7. Solution Seven: Create a Portable File and Restore to the Server
- 7 FAQ
Possible reasons behind the occurrence of QuickBooks Error 6177 0
- Due to corrupt QuickBooks download
- Virus or Malware may affect your QB company file
- It also happen when the Windows Registry get corrupted
- The program maliciously or incorrectly removed your QuickBooks related files
- Corrupt download as well as installation can also be one of probable reasons
- It may be due to recent changes in QuickBooks related software Virus or Malware contagion or Windows system files are corrupted.
- Once the error code 61770 is encountered then you’re no longer able to use the same path to open your QuickBooks company file.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 6177 0
System Requirements to avoid QuickBooks Error 6177 0
Precautions to take before Resolutions QuickBooks Error 6177 0
Solutions of Quickbooks Error 6177 0
Below we have provided some updated methods to resolve QuickBooks error 6177 0.
- Moving the file to the local drive
- Using QuickBooks File Doctor
- Resolving 6177, 0 manually
- Update QuickBooks software with the latest release
- Rename the .ND file
- Try fixing Error 6177 0 by running QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM)
- Create a Portable File and Restore to the Server
There are multiple solutions to this error, which are mentioned below:
1. Solution One: Moving the file to the local drive
Below are the steps to move the file to the local drive:
- Users must transfer the file from the server to the C drive and then open the file in QuickBooks.
- Now, a portable file must be created and saved in the C drive.
- When done, the company file must be closed.
- Next, the portable file must be restored from the C drive and saved in the server.
- Now, the company file must be closed and opened from the server.
2. Solution Two: Using QuickBooks File Doctor
Users must download, install, and run the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- To start with closing your QuickBooks
- Next, download the most recent version of QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Now, open the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file
- Perform the instructions to install the application
- Along with that, agree to the terms and conditions
- Once the software installation is completed then try to open the Tool Hub by double-clicking on the same icon.
Steps to run the QuickBooks File Doctor
- Go to the Tool Hub and click on the Company File Issues
- Select the QuickBooks File Doctor and then from the drop-down list, select the company file
- If you are not able to find the file then click “Browse” to find the file
- Select the option “Check your file” and then hit the “Continue” tab
- In the end, give the QB admin password details followed by the “Next” tab.
Open the company file once the utility has finished scanning and repairing. Continue to the next solution if the problem still exists.
3. Solution Three: Resolving 6177, 0 manually
To resolve error 6177 0 use the below steps manually:
💠 If the File Doctor doesn’t run or users want to solve the problem manually, they must first close QuickBooks Desktop on the computer that stores the company file/s and open the folder containing the company file and find the file with .ND extension, such as MyCompanyFileName.QBW.ND. Next, right-clicking the file, users must select ‘Delete’.
💠 Next, selecting the Windows Start button, users must select Programs->QuickBooks->QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Then, select the ‘Add Folder’ button and locate the folder containing the QuickBooks Desktop company file/s and select OK. Repeat the steps to add more folders. Next select the ‘Scan’ button and when the scan is over select ‘Close’
💠 Next, navigate to ‘Set up folder permissions’ for sharing company files web page to check if permissions are set correctly.
1. Step One: Switching the hosting off and on
Steps to switch on and off the hosting file:
- In QuickBooks, select File and go to ‘Utilities’ and then select ‘Stop Hosting Multi-User Access’.
- Now select ‘Yes’ and close QuickBooks and then open it.
- Now, in File, select ‘Utilities’ and then ‘Host Multi-User Access’ and choose ‘Yes’.
- Now, go to File and choose ‘Open or Restore Company’.
2. Step Two: Opening the file via local path
Steps to open company file via local locations:
- The 6177, 0 error is occasionally caused by company files that are opened in the host computer via mapped drives.
- Users must check if the file is mapped to a network drive.
- To do so, press Windows+E, which will open the window of your computer, often called ‘This Computer’.
- If the folder containing the company file is in ‘Network Locations’ or ‘Network Devices’, right-click on the folder and choose ‘Properties’.
- If the ‘Network Drive’ appears as the ‘Type’, it is a mapped drive.
- Now, access the company file via a local drive.
3. Step Three: Creating a new folder
User can use below steps to create a new folder:
- Users must press Windows+E on the server keyboard to access the Computer window. Next, they must select the C drive to create a new folder.
- In Windows 8 and 10, users must select ‘Home’ and then ‘New Folder’.
- In Windows Vista and 7, users must select the ‘New Folder’ button.
- Next, users must open the folder containing the original data and move/copy the company file/s along with all the component files (such as .lmr, .cfd, .images, etc.) to the new folder. Then, users must reopen QuickBooks and open the company file contained in the new folder
- Finally, to resolve the error manually, users must open the file in the computer where the error occurred.
4. Solution Four: Update QuickBooks software with the latest release
Sometimes, the error may also occur due to outdated versions so try updating your QuickBooks to the latest release and then verify whether the error has been resolved or not.
- First, login to your QuickBooks as an Administrator
- Go to the Help menu and click on the “Update QuickBooks”
- Next, click on the option “Mark All” under the Options tab
- Click Save for the steps that are provided on your screen
- And then open the tab called “Update Now”
- Make sure that “Reset Update” box should be marked and then click “Get Updates”
- Once you complete the update process then close your QuickBooks
- Finally, try to reopen your QuickBooks program.
5. Solution Five: Rename the .ND file
The .ND file is used to run QuickBooks company files over a network and in multi-user mode. If this file is damaged or corrupted, QuickBooks Error -6177, 0 may occur; however, renaming these files may assist you in resolving the issue.
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks company file location C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company File [Default Location]
- Look for the files with a name .ND
- Do a right-click on the same and then select “Rename”
- Now, type “.OLD” at the end of the file
- For example, CompanyName.qbw.ND now changes it to CompanyName.qbw.ND.OLD
- Finally, to confirm the action, click “Yes”.
6. Solution Six: Try fixing Error 6177 0 by running QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDSM)
As discussed earlier, the steps for downloading QuickBooks Tool Hub and now it’s time to run QuickBooks Database Server Manager by following the below steps:
- To start with opening the QuickBooks Tool Hub by double-clicking on the same
- Next, select the tab called “Network Issues” and then click “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”
- If QB Database Server Manager displays correct company file location then click “Start Scan”
- But in case, if not then click Browse to choose the company file folder and click “Start Scan”
- After that, QuickBooks Database Server Manager repair your firewall and provide all efficient permission in order to access all workstations
- Click on the “Close” button once the repair is successfully done.
7. Solution Seven: Create a Portable File and Restore to the Server
Steps to create a Portable file and Restore it to the server:
- In the beginning, open your QuickBooks Desktop
- And then click on the “Open or restore an existing company
- Next, select the “Open a company file” then hit “Next”
- After that, browse the location where you moved the company file into C: drive
- Select the file and then click “Open”
- Go to the File >>>> Create Copy in order to create a portable file
- Select the Portable company file and then hit “Next”
- After that, click “Save” and make sure that you remember the portable company file location then click “Ok”
- Again move to the File menu >>> Open or Restore Company
- Select the “Restore a portable file” and then click “Next”
- Once done with that select the company file and then click “Open” >>> “Next”
- In order to restore the file, go to the same location from where you moved your company file to the C: drive as you see in the earlier step 2
- After done with that click “Save”
- This way, you can keep your company file to the same location.
Need Professional Help?
Get the Instant Solution with Live Chat Experts
Are you still not able to resolve your QuickBooks issue? We have a team of QuickBooks experts with years of experience in resolving errors and issues. If you need any help asap, CHAT NOW our experts.
See Also – QuickBooks Error The File Exists
How can I fix the QuickBooks Error 6177 0 automatically?
To fix this error, update your QuickBooks desktop then update the file location. Once you have done then download the file doctor tool. Then, run this tool but make sure you update to the latest release. When it’s completed then you have to fix the path manually.
What are the causes of QuickBooks Error 6177 0?
The most strong reason behind this error is when QuickBooks users are unable to utilize the path to open the company file. It also appears due to corrupted or damaged QuickBooks company files or any virus infection in your system.
Why am I unable to open a local path while resolving the QuickBooks 6177 0?
From the edit menu and you have to choose the preferences. Then you have to choose the view tab. Move forward to choose the Don’t save option and hit the click on the Ok button. Now, you have to close and reopen the QuickBooks. Once it opens without any issue then open your company files again to check whether the issue is resolved or not.