Events, such as Id 4, should be ignored if users can access QuickBooks. This event that’s seen in the ‘Event Viewer’ is only informational. This issue is generally resolved when QuickBooks is updated to the latest release.
Reason behind the QuickBooks error event id 4
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks company file.
- Attack of virus or malware.
- Incomplete installation of QuickBooks .
- There is a problem with the windows registry.
- QuickBooks files are erased by the other third party application.
Users can update QuickBooks to the latest release. Turning on ‘Automatic Update’ lets QuickBooks download the latest updates, even if the program isn’t running. Manual updates are done once every month.
Checking if the release patch is the latest
Users must keep QuickBooks open and press F2 or Ctrl + 1. This will open the ‘Product Information’ window, where users can check the latest version and release.
Downloading and installing release updates
Some minor changes are made to the database while updating to anew release, such as from R3P t R5P. But these changes won’t make the data file incompatible with previous releases.
1. Manual update:
A. Downloading from the internet
- On the updates page, users must ensure that the product is selected. If it isn’t, they must select the ‘Change’ link and select their QuickBooks product. Then, select ‘Update’, followed by ‘Save’ to update the file to the desktop.
- Once the download is completed, users must double-click the file to install it. The system might have to be restarted after the installation is completed.
- Manual updates can be installed across the network by accessing the install file on the user’s computer from another computer, or by copying the file on a flash drive ad then on another computer’s desktop.
B. Downloading from within QuickBooks
- Select ‘Close Company/Logoff’ in the ‘File’ menu. If several files are open in QuickBooks, this must be done for each file. Now, select ‘File’-> ‘Exit’.
- Next, users must right-click on The QuickBooks icon the desktop and select ‘Run as Administrator’. Users must be in the ‘No Company Open’ window and select ‘Update QuickBooks’ in the ‘Help’ menu.
- Now, select ‘Options’ and then the ‘Mark All’ button, followed by ‘Save’. Then, select ‘Update Now’. Next, select ‘Reset Update’, followed by the ‘Get Updates’ button. When users see the ‘Update Complete’ message, they must close QuickBooks.
- Now, reopen QuickBooks and if the message to install update appears, select ‘yes’. Restart the computer once the installation is completed.
Ultra Light Patch (ULIP) in QuickBooks allows delivery of minor critical fixes without any actual release patch. For applying critical fixes, users must follow the steps mentioned in the previous option. ‘Critical Fixes’ must be chosen before downloading the updates.
2. Automatic Update
A. Updating immediately
- First, select ‘Update QuickBooks’ in the ‘Help’ menu. Then, select ‘Update Now’ tab in the ‘Update QuickBooks’ window. Don’t make any changes in the table.
- Optionally, users can check the ‘Reset Update’ box to delete earlier update downloads.
- Now, select ‘Get Updates’. The latest release will start downloading and the computer will have to be restarted to install the update. Users must choose the option for installing new release while restarting QuickBooks.
B. Updating in the future
- Users must select ‘Update QuickBooks’ in the ‘Help’ menu and then the ‘Options’ tab in the ‘Update QuickBooks’ window. Next, choose the ‘Yes’ radio button for switching on automatic updates.
- Now, select ‘Close’. QuickBooks will download the update once it’s released.
Need Professional Help?
Related Post – Get Help to Fix QuickBooks Error 12157