What is QuickBooks Error: The File Exists?
QuickBooks has added a lot to the functioning of the small and medium-size businesses. Its utilization in accounting and financial processing has made it an inseparable part of the businesses. It works with such great efficiency and accuracy that it makes the whole process a lot smoother by digitizing it. But whenever a software becomes a great utility for the masses, it grows and becomes prone to some errors or glitches as well. These errors need to be solved right away, and could be resolved by using a few technical error resolution methods. There are many errors that happen with QuickBooks and are resolved by these methods. “QuickBooks The File Exists Error” is one of such errors. The error messages could appear like this:
“The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.”
“(Windows) The file exists.”
At times when Windows is unable to download the QuickBooks updates, “QuickBooks Error: The File Exists” may pop-up. In this error, whenever you are trying to print from QuickBooks, Windows will show the message box that the file exists. It is only after clicking OK several times that you will be able to process the print. The issue persists when trying to open the file from the printer setup. This issue can be resolved by following some simple steps that we are going to introduce in the article below. However, in case you find yourself unable to keep up with the steps, you can always contact the QuickBooks Technical Support.
How to resolve QuickBooks Error: The File Exists?
We’ll follow these steps to resolve the issue:
● We’ll run QuickBooks as administrator. To do so, we will right click on QuickBooks icon the desktop and select Run As Administrator.
● Now to make sure that Windows settings and permissions are configured in a way so that it can support QuickBooks functioning, we will follow these steps:
○ Turn off QuickBooks Desktop.
○ Using Windows Explorer, we will reach to the folder C: Program and find Intuit folder. We will right-click on the Intuit Folder
○ From there we will follow this path: Property> Security
○ Now we will navigate to the Advanced Settings> Owner to ensure that group of users is selected. If the system is different from the users, then ownership of Intuit is mandatory.
● From here we will select computer name Users and ensure that we have checked the Full control.
● We’ll click okay and exit the Intuit folder.
We’ll discuss a few more steps which could help you resolve the QuickBooks error:
● You can configure Firewall and QuickBooks Desktop internet security settings.
● Wireless connection could cause problems when used to download and install updates. We suggest you use cable-based connections to update QuickBooks.
● You can also run Reboot.bat
● You can reinstall QuickBooks by using a clean install.
Following these simple steps, you should be able to resolve QuickBooks The File Exists Error. However, if you come across any difficulty while doing so, or you want some reliable help regarding any other QuickBooks or related products issues, you can contact the QuickBooks Technical Support Team to help you out with them. They are a third-party agency with excellent expertise in resolving the QuickBooks related issues.
You can get in touch with one of the QuickBooks Technical Support Experts by calling at their toll-free number 1-855-481-5338. They are available 24*7 and provide their services right across the world.