Sometimes, QuickBooks just crashes without any reason or QuickBooks won’t open. Such scenarios cause a lot of frustration for the user. Also, they are hard to fix as the underlying problem becomes difficult to configure. In this article, we will explore a few methods that can resolve this error. We will start with terminating the process, scanning the computer, creating a new admin user and reinstalling the software.
Causes of QuickBooks won’t open
- If the company files get damaged or corrupted.
- Already open a company file on a different system using a multi user network .
- Outdated version of QuickBooks software.
- The company name is very long.
- Using incorrect methods to open a company file.
- Maybe the hard drive is corrupted.
QuickBooks Won’t Open, Terminating the process
Sometimes multiple instances of the software are fired up at once. This can create an error due to which QuickBooks won’t open.
To fix Quickbooks won’t open error, follow the steps provided below:
- Right click on the taskbar.
- Select Task manager.
- Open the Processes Tab.
- Right click on any QB process.
- Click on End Process Tree.
- Select again on End Process Tree on the confirmation box.
This will close all services related to QuickBooks. Check if the software works or not.
1. Method One: Scanning for malicious programs
Malicious programs such as malware, ransomware and virus can often interfere with the working of QB and user will QuickBooks won’t open errors. It is important to remove such programs. Luckily, many security software are available in the market which can do this for you. Also, various options are available on the market. After downloading and installing the security software, run a full system scan. Once the scan is finished, remove all infected files. Restart your computer and check weather QB works or not.
2. Method Two: Folder Permissions
Folders also have settings in windows. You can edit these setting by right clicking on the folder and selecting properties. These settings can influence the way in which QB reads the company file.
Follow the steps provided below to check if there are problems with folder permissions:
- Go to the folder in which company file is stored.
- Right click on that folder.
- Click on properties.
- Make sure that the checkbox against Read Only is unchecked.
- Click on Apply and Save.
- Reopen QB.
3. Method Three: QuickBooks File Doctor
This tool is offered for free by Intuit. With this tool, users can scan for network and company file errors. Download the tool from this link and install it on your system. After installing, open QB file doctor and select the company files you want to scan. Fix all the problems found by the tool and restart QB.
4. Method Four: Repairing QuickBooks
For repairing QB, users can follow the steps provided below:
- Log into a user account with Administrative Privileges
- Select Programs and Features
- Select QuickBooks
- In the options provided above click Repair
- Follow the installation wizard for repairing the software
- Restart your computer
5. Method Five: Reinstalling the software
If everything else fails then you must reinstall the software. For doing so, go back to programs and features and click on uninstall instead of repair. Restart you computer and reinstall the entire software.
If you get stuck anywhere in the process, feel free to get in touch with AccountingErrors QuickBooks Technical Support Team, Which is available 24/7 on 📞+1-855-481-5338.